AUSTIN 1800
i***@nlsworldwide.com
2015-07-02 15:28:16 UTC
Can any one help, DESPERATE...
have a BMC JU250 camper 1968 with orig Austin engine. Would anyone know if an MGB engine would fit in it , if so which one ?

any help appreciated.
Tel; 07753 863022 ***@nlsworldwide.com
Jeremy
Dave Plowman (News)
2015-07-02 15:50:26 UTC
Can any one help, DESPERATE... have a BMC JU250 camper 1968 with orig
Austin engine. Would anyone know if an MGB engine would fit in it , if
so which one ?
Basically, yes. All the B series units can be swapped around.

Is yours originally a 3 bearing 1622? Most MGB engines will be 5 bearing
units. You might also look for a Marina 1800 engine too.

Ages ago, I fitted an 1800 5 bearing to an MGA which was originally a
1500. You may have to change the crank centre bush depending on gearbox -
and swap some other bits, like the gearbox mounting plate and possibly the
front mounting plate and sump too. But if you have both engines pretty
well all the bits needed will be there, and can be interchanged.

However, I doubt the van carb will be much use with the larger engine. So
you'll also need the twin SUs from the MGB, or the single SU from an
Austin 1800. Or if the basic carb on the van is the same, just a new
needle, etc. Also best to use the MGB dizzy.
any help appreciated.
Jeremy
--
*Time is what keeps everything from happening at once.

Dave Plowman ***@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.