Battery charger for laid-up car
Davey
2015-01-27 00:40:38 UTC
I'm looking for a battery charger that I can leave connected for some
weeks, that will take care of the battery with no attention. I see
several on Amazon, etc, but I am looking for personal recommendations
of suitable chargers.
Davey.
Indy Jess John
2015-01-27 09:26:03 UTC
Post by Davey
I'm looking for a battery charger that I can leave connected for some
weeks, that will take care of the battery with no attention. I see
several on Amazon, etc, but I am looking for personal recommendations
of suitable chargers.
The alternative worth considering if you already have a battery charger
is to connect it via a time switch and give the battery an hour's charge
one a week.

It worked for me when I needed to keep a battery topped up.

Jim
Davey
2015-01-27 12:26:29 UTC
On Tue, 27 Jan 2015 09:26:03 +0000
Post by Indy Jess John
Post by Davey
I'm looking for a battery charger that I can leave connected for
some weeks, that will take care of the battery with no attention. I
see several on Amazon, etc, but I am looking for personal
recommendations of suitable chargers.
The alternative worth considering if you already have a battery
charger is to connect it via a time switch and give the battery an
hour's charge one a week.
It worked for me when I needed to keep a battery topped up.
Jim
That would work, Timers are cheap enough, and I already have a
charger, with High and Low settings.

Thanks.
Davey.
Dave Plowman (News)
2015-01-27 11:23:43 UTC
Post by Davey
I'm looking for a battery charger that I can leave connected for some
weeks, that will take care of the battery with no attention. I see
several on Amazon, etc, but I am looking for personal recommendations
of suitable chargers.
Lidl had theirs recently. You may well find one left if you're lucky.

It charges the battery then switches automatically to a maintenance charge
and can be left like this indefinitely. Costs about 13 quid.

It's an excellent little charger which will also charge the average flat
battery overnight. Only downside is you have to press a button to switch
it on etc - which means if there was a mains interruption it wouldn't
resume the same state when it came back.

I've got one built in to the SD1.

As with most of this sort of thing from Lidl its less than half the cost
of buying a 'named' one - but just as good if not better. And has a 3 year
money back warranty. (keep the receipt)
--
*Does fuzzy logic tickle? *

Dave Plowman ***@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Davey
2015-01-27 12:36:35 UTC
On Tue, 27 Jan 2015 11:23:43 +0000 (GMT)
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Post by Davey
[...]
I am not normally a Lidl shopper, partly because they don't have any
shops within easy range of me, and looking at their website, I can find
no way to Search for a specific product. They seem to only want to
advertise current bargains.
But thanks anyway.
Davey.
Dave Plowman (News)
2015-01-27 13:30:15 UTC
Post by Davey
I am not normally a Lidl shopper, partly because they don't have any
shops within easy range of me, and looking at their website, I can find
no way to Search for a specific product. They seem to only want to
advertise current bargains.
Ah - you don't understand the Lidl system. Things like this they are only
ever on special offer - which is how they keep the price so low. Nothing
left unsold on the shelves for ages. But some - like this charger - may be
on offer more than once. I'd guess in this case perhaps twice a year for
the last 5 or so.
Post by Davey
But thanks anyway.
If you have a friend etc who uses Lidl on a regular basis, you could
perhaps ask him to see if his local branch still has some left. My local
one did yesterday.
--
*Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker? *

Davey
2015-01-27 14:47:20 UTC
On Tue, 27 Jan 2015 13:30:15 +0000 (GMT)
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
If you have a friend etc who uses Lidl on a regular basis, you could
perhaps ask him to see if his local branch still has some left. My
local one did yesterday.
No such person! Lidl and Aldi are not big here. We have just had our
first Aldi open up, replacing a Co-op, and it is filled with cheap
horrid crap. The car park is almost empty now, far emptier than when
it was the Co-op.
Davey.
Dave Plowman (News)
2015-01-27 17:19:26 UTC
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
If you have a friend etc who uses Lidl on a regular basis, you could
perhaps ask him to see if his local branch still has some left. My
local one did yesterday.
No such person! Lidl and Aldi are not big here. We have just had our
first Aldi open up, replacing a Co-op, and it is filled with cheap
horrid crap. The car park is almost empty now, far emptier than when
it was the Co-op.
Crikey. Doesn't sound like Aldi. A Co-op, sadly, yes. I'm old enough to
remember when they were the best value stores around.

But I don't have an Aldi close. Have only gone to one if they have
something I want.

Lidl, on the other hand, are very active in this part of London. For lots
of things they beat the supermarkets hands down. With no silly BOGOF
and/or money off your next purchase rubbish.

But more on topic for here, their 'special offers' of tools etc are second
to none value wise. Much better quality than a shed own brand stuff and
cheaper too.

I got some wiper blades for the SD1 the other week. Had to know what I was
buying as they weren't listed for it, obviously. Got two front blades and
two rear blades for under a tenner the lot - and they appear to be as well
made as Bosch. Indeed, I wouldn't be surprised if they were made by them.
--
*Husbands should come with instructions

Peter Hill
2015-01-27 20:16:33 UTC
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
If you have a friend etc who uses Lidl on a regular basis, you could
perhaps ask him to see if his local branch still has some left. My
local one did yesterday.
No such person! Lidl and Aldi are not big here. We have just had our
first Aldi open up, replacing a Co-op, and it is filled with cheap
horrid crap. The car park is almost empty now, far emptier than when
it was the Co-op.
Aldi do XS battery charger.

But like Lidl you will have to wait until its on sale. Usually autumn.
Davey
2015-02-08 23:22:59 UTC
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Lidl had theirs recently. You may well find one left if you're lucky.
It charges the battery then switches automatically to a maintenance
charge and can be left like this indefinitely. Costs about 13 quid.
It's an excellent little charger which will also charge the average
flat battery overnight. Only downside is you have to press a button
to switch it on etc - which means if there was a mains interruption
it wouldn't resume the same state when it came back.
I've got one built in to the SD1.
Is it connected permanently to the battery? I always, possibly
unnecessarily, disconnect a battery charger after finishing charging, or
when trying to start the car.
The habit of 'Good Practice', ie not allowing possible unfriendly
things to happen.
Davey.
Dave Plowman (News)
2015-02-09 16:50:40 UTC
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Lidl had theirs recently. You may well find one left if you're lucky.
It charges the battery then switches automatically to a maintenance
charge and can be left like this indefinitely. Costs about 13 quid.
It's an excellent little charger which will also charge the average
flat battery overnight. Only downside is you have to press a button
to switch it on etc - which means if there was a mains interruption
it wouldn't resume the same state when it came back.
I've got one built in to the SD1.
Is it connected permanently to the battery?
Yes. Via a fuse.
Post by Davey
I always, possibly
unnecessarily, disconnect a battery charger after finishing charging, or
when trying to start the car.
The habit of 'Good Practice', ie not allowing possible unfriendly
things to happen.
Been like that for several years now. The idea was to make it as simple as
possible to use. Although I suppose adding a switch to disconnect it
totally wouldn't be difficult. All I can say is it draws zero current when
connected but not powered up.
--
*Few women admit their age; fewer men act it.

Davey
2015-02-09 23:44:49 UTC
On Mon, 09 Feb 2015 16:50:40 +0000 (GMT)
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Post by Davey
On Tue, 27 Jan 2015 11:23:43 +0000 (GMT)
snip
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Post by Davey
I always, possibly
unnecessarily, disconnect a battery charger after finishing
charging, or when trying to start the car.
The habit of 'Good Practice', ie not allowing possible unfriendly
things to happen.
Been like that for several years now. The idea was to make it as
simple as possible to use. Although I suppose adding a switch to
disconnect it totally wouldn't be difficult. All I can say is it
draws zero current when connected but not powered up.
Thanks. I had thought of adding a switch if I did the same
installation. For now, I have an old inherited charger, and CPC sold a
pair of timers for £6.60 (PL1151703).
--
Davey.