Coachbuilder conversion: can anyone identify the car?
b***@hotmail.com
2017-05-13 17:21:43 UTC
In the 1940s-1960s several coachbuilders created "estate cars" / "shooting brakes" on luxury cars.

Here's a partial snapshot of one, and I am trying to guess the original car from the rear wheel valances, but without success. Sorry it's a poor photo.

Not an Austin Sheerline, is it?

Indy Jess John
2017-05-13 18:13:44 UTC
Post by b***@hotmail.com
In the 1940s-1960s several coachbuilders created "estate cars" / "shooting brakes" on luxury cars.
Here's a partial snapshot of one, and I am trying to guess the original car from the rear wheel valances, but without success. Sorry it's a poor photo.
Not an Austin Sheerline, is it?
http://www.oldstox.com/images/what%20car.jpg
It could be. The angle of the rear wheel valance is about right.

A further clue is the inclusion in the valance of access to a petrol
filler. An unmodified Sheerline has a (admittedly smaller) access hatch
for a fuel filler in roughly that position.

The coach builder would modify the body, but that would not normally
include moving the petrol tank, so the access hatch would have to be in
a very similar position.

Jim
b***@hotmail.com
2017-05-13 19:11:22 UTC
http://www.classicandsportscar.ltd.uk/images_catalogue/large/austin%20a125%20sheerline%20007_7196.jpg
The coach builder would modify the body, but that would not normally
include moving the petrol tank, so the access hatch would have to be in
a very similar position.
Jim
Thank you! A very quick and helpful reply. I did not look at enough Sheerlines.
Any other posters, feel free to add or comment?
Cheers.
b***@hotmail.com
Still looking closely at Sheerlines. I think "my" car has a fatter rear wing, and the different petrol cap does not quite suit. A135 may be closer?
b***@hotmail.com
2017-05-13 20:00:32 UTC
Post by b***@hotmail.com
Not an Austin Sheerline, is it?
BINGO:

It's a Humber Pullman: Loading Image...

In fact, the limited-ed. "Warwick Estate Car", slightly modified:

Indy Jess John
2017-05-13 21:31:49 UTC
Post by b***@hotmail.com
Post by b***@hotmail.com
Not an Austin Sheerline, is it?
It's a Humber Pullman: http://car-from-uk.com/ebay/carphotos/full/ebay905672.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/92/bd/47/92bd47f1ce06cad909fe545800c4908b.jpg
Ah yes. Well spotted.

I was a little concerned about the size of the running board compared
with the Sheerline, but I couldn't think of another car that would fit
the valance shape so I had assumed that the coachbuilder replaced the
doors. I didn't think of the Humber - I have only seen one Pullman in
real life and that was many years ago, so it didn't come to mind.

Jim