Front crank seal.
Dave Plowman (News)
2019-10-23 14:54:39 UTC
Dribble from the front crank seal on the SD1 has changed into a flood. Did
change the seal not that long ago, and noticed the pulley assembly had a
deep groove where the seal rubs. So the new seal didn't work for long.
New assemblies NLA, and used ones likely worn too - if you can find one
for my particular engine with A/C.

So have ordered up a Speedi-Sleeve from SKF bearings. There are lots and
lots of sizes and finding the correct one took ages - out of stock at the
UK main dealer.

Eventually found it at Simply Bearings for £33.

Will update how I get on when it arrives. ;-)
--
*It's lonely at the top, but you eat better.

Dave Plowman ***@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Indy Jess John
2019-10-23 16:25:18 UTC
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Dribble from the front crank seal on the SD1 has changed into a flood. Did
change the seal not that long ago, and noticed the pulley assembly had a
deep groove where the seal rubs. So the new seal didn't work for long.
New assemblies NLA, and used ones likely worn too - if you can find one
for my particular engine with A/C.
So have ordered up a Speedi-Sleeve from SKF bearings. There are lots and
lots of sizes and finding the correct one took ages - out of stock at the
UK main dealer.
Eventually found it at Simply Bearings for £33.
Will update how I get on when it arrives. ;-)
The other possibility (which you may have already explored) is to phone
Rimmers. Sometimes when you speak to them on the phone they know that
there are good used items that they don't put in their catalogue, or
they can point you towards a possible aftermarket supplier.

It may be too late with your Simply Bearings order in hand, but it is
something to bear in mind for the future.

Jim
Dave Plowman (News)
2019-10-23 17:25:29 UTC
Post by Indy Jess John
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Dribble from the front crank seal on the SD1 has changed into a flood.
Did change the seal not that long ago, and noticed the pulley assembly
had a deep groove where the seal rubs. So the new seal didn't work for
long. New assemblies NLA, and used ones likely worn too - if you can
find one for my particular engine with A/C.
So have ordered up a Speedi-Sleeve from SKF bearings. There are lots
and lots of sizes and finding the correct one took ages - out of stock
at the UK main dealer.
Eventually found it at Simply Bearings for Ѓ33.
Will update how I get on when it arrives. ;-)
The other possibility (which you may have already explored) is to phone
Rimmers. Sometimes when you speak to them on the phone they know that
there are good used items that they don't put in their catalogue, or
they can point you towards a possible aftermarket supplier.
I'd be very surprised if Rimmer would sell a decent used assembly which is
NLA for anywhere near Ѓ33 - given they are charging about 200 quid for
some of the pulleys only, which are still avaiable.
Post by Indy Jess John
It may be too late with your Simply Bearings order in hand, but it is
something to bear in mind for the future.
The annoying thing is I did buy a decent used assembly years ago, but
can't find it.
--
*How do you tell when you run out of invisible ink? *

Peter Hill
2019-10-26 06:18:12 UTC
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Post by Indy Jess John
It may be too late with your Simply Bearings order in hand, but it is
something to bear in mind for the future.
The annoying thing is I did buy a decent used assembly years ago, but
can't find it.
It will turn up just after you fit the sleeve and get it all back together.