Repair to a capillary thermometer
Ian Johnston
2006-08-17 12:39:35 UTC
My four year old Smith's (Holden) capillary water temperature gauge
has slowly subsided over the last couple of weeks, so that it now
thinks water boils (near sea level!) at 35 degrees centigrade. Does
anyone know of a company who can repair them, or do I just lob Holden
another ninety (ouch) quid?

Ian
Autolycus
2006-08-17 15:51:49 UTC
Post by Ian Johnston
My four year old Smith's (Holden) capillary water temperature gauge
has slowly subsided over the last couple of weeks, so that it now
thinks water boils (near sea level!) at 35 degrees centigrade. Does
anyone know of a company who can repair them, or do I just lob Holden
another ninety (ouch) quid?
http://www.speedograph-richfield.com

are very widely recommended. They repaired an MG YB speedo cable for me
for a few pounds while I waited, and I got the impression they are a
genuinely competent outfit.
--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. ***@mainbeam.co.uk)***
Ian Johnston
2006-08-17 17:17:04 UTC
On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 15:51:49 UTC, "Autolycus" <***@mainbeam.co.uk>
wrote:

:
: "Ian Johnston" <***@btinternet.com> wrote in message
: news:cCUlhtvFIYkV-pn2-***@internal.RFC1918.telecomplete.net...
: > My four year old Smith's (Holden) capillary water temperature gauge
: > has slowly subsided over the last couple of weeks, so that it now
: > thinks water boils (near sea level!) at 35 degrees centigrade. Does
: > anyone know of a company who can repair them, or do I just lob Holden
: > another ninety (ouch) quid?
: >
:
: http://www.speedograph-richfield.com
:
: are very widely recommended. They repaired an MG YB speedo cable for me
: for a few pounds while I waited, and I got the impression they are a
: genuinely competent outfit.

Thanks. From their website it looks as if they only do speedometers,
but I'll ring and ask. Since the gauge still works a bit I don't think
I can have a burst capillary - it's more likely, I think, that there
is something jamming at the display end, which might be their cup of
tea.

Ian
Autolycus
2006-08-17 18:19:37 UTC
Post by Ian Johnston
[...]
From their web site:

We can repair and recalibrate to original specification most types of
Smiths Capillary type gauges from the Smith's range of instruments.

A contributor to one of the Rolls-Royce sites has just had his 20/25
capillary temperature gauge refurbished there, and they also provide an
alternative to Mr Marks for Jaeger chronometric instruments.
Ian Johnston
2006-08-17 18:22:16 UTC
On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 18:19:37 UTC, "Autolycus" <***@mainbeam.co.uk>
wrote:

:
: "Ian Johnston" <***@btinternet.com> wrote in message
: > Thanks. From their website it looks as if they only do speedometers,
: > but I'll ring and ask. Since the gauge still works a bit I don't think
: > I can have a burst capillary - it's more likely, I think, that there
: > is something jamming at the display end, which might be their cup of
: > tea.
: >
: From their web site:
:
: We can repair and recalibrate to original specification most types of
: Smiths Capillary type gauges from the Smith's range of instruments.

D'oh. How did I miss that?

Ian
Al
2016-01-05 00:17:59 UTC