Plug spanner size
Dave Plowman (News)
2018-12-09 11:08:20 UTC
Here's a question for classic car types. Which arose from a question on a
FB group. And I was surprised no one seemed to know.

You've lost your dedicated 14mm plug socket - but the engine design would
allow a ring spanner to be used.

What is the correct ring spanner size?
--
*Learn from your parents' mistakes - use birth control.

Dave Plowman ***@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Indy Jess John
2018-12-09 16:38:34 UTC
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Here's a question for classic car types. Which arose from a question on a
FB group. And I was surprised no one seemed to know.
You've lost your dedicated 14mm plug socket - but the engine design would
allow a ring spanner to be used.
What is the correct ring spanner size?
The standard spark plug (not the small ones some early Vauxhalls used)
is a 21mm ring spanner. I have just tried it.

Jim
Dave Plowman (News)
2018-12-11 00:27:35 UTC
Post by Indy Jess John
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Here's a question for classic car types. Which arose from a question
on a FB group. And I was surprised no one seemed to know.
You've lost your dedicated 14mm plug socket - but the engine design
would allow a ring spanner to be used.
What is the correct ring spanner size?
The standard spark plug (not the small ones some early Vauxhalls used)
is a 21mm ring spanner. I have just tried it.
21mm will sort of fit, but isn't the actual size.
--
*I'm already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth

Indy Jess John
2018-12-11 07:13:57 UTC
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Post by Indy Jess John
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Here's a question for classic car types. Which arose from a question
on a FB group. And I was surprised no one seemed to know.
You've lost your dedicated 14mm plug socket - but the engine design
would allow a ring spanner to be used.
What is the correct ring spanner size?
The standard spark plug (not the small ones some early Vauxhalls used)
is a 21mm ring spanner. I have just tried it.
21mm will sort of fit, but isn't the actual size.
I confess that the socket I tested was hexagonal rather than the
customary 12-point ring, so it looked and felt a good fit. Perhaps a
traditional ring isn't as good.

I have an AF set of traditional rings in the garage. I will try those
later and let you know if I can get a match with those.

Jim
Dave Plowman (News)
2018-12-11 11:13:03 UTC
Post by Indy Jess John
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Post by Indy Jess John
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Here's a question for classic car types. Which arose from a question
on a FB group. And I was surprised no one seemed to know.
You've lost your dedicated 14mm plug socket - but the engine design
would allow a ring spanner to be used.
What is the correct ring spanner size?
The standard spark plug (not the small ones some early Vauxhalls used)
is a 21mm ring spanner. I have just tried it.
21mm will sort of fit, but isn't the actual size.
I confess that the socket I tested was hexagonal rather than the
customary 12-point ring, so it looked and felt a good fit. Perhaps a
traditional ring isn't as good.
I have an AF set of traditional rings in the garage. I will try those
later and let you know if I can get a match with those.
Getting closer, but you need to go back further than AF spanners. ;-)
--
*What happens when none of your bees wax? *

Indy Jess John
2018-12-11 12:37:18 UTC
Post by Indy Jess John
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Post by Indy Jess John
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Here's a question for classic car types. Which arose from a question
on a FB group. And I was surprised no one seemed to know.
You've lost your dedicated 14mm plug socket - but the engine design
would allow a ring spanner to be used.
What is the correct ring spanner size?
The standard spark plug (not the small ones some early Vauxhalls used)
is a 21mm ring spanner. I have just tried it.
21mm will sort of fit, but isn't the actual size.
I confess that the socket I tested was hexagonal rather than the
customary 12-point ring, so it looked and felt a good fit. Perhaps a
traditional ring isn't as good.
I have an AF set of traditional rings in the garage. I will try those
later and let you know if I can get a match with those.
Jim
I have now tested my AF spanner set. A proper fit with a proper ring
needs a 13/16 AF spanner.

(I don't think you can now find Whitworth ring spanners).

Jim
Dave Plowman (News)
2018-12-11 13:29:59 UTC
Post by Indy Jess John
Post by Indy Jess John
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Post by Indy Jess John
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
[...]
They're probably still made somewhere. I've certainly got some, and
sockets too.

You are right, though. The nut size on a 14mm sparking plug is actually
7/16ths Whit (as marked on the spanner) About 20.8mm AF.
--
*IF YOU TRY TO FAIL, AND SUCCEED, WHICH HAVE YOU DONE?

Indy Jess John
2018-12-11 17:50:54 UTC
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Post by Indy Jess John
Post by Indy Jess John
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Post by Indy Jess John
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
[...]
You are right - they are still around, though many are used sets, eg
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-of-6-vintage-Gordon-tools-whitworth-offset-ring-spanners-LOTWD7GRD/183578702095

Jim
Dave Plowman (News)
2018-12-12 00:53:42 UTC
Post by Indy Jess John
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Post by Indy Jess John
(I don't think you can now find Whitworth ring spanners).
They're probably still made somewhere. I've certainly got some, and
sockets too.
You are right, though. The nut size on a 14mm sparking plug is actually
7/16ths Whit (as marked on the spanner) About 20.8mm AF.
You are right - they are still around, though many are used sets, eg
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-of-6-vintage-Gordon-tools-whitworth-offset-ring-spanners-LOTWD7GRD/183578702095
Still quite a few cars around that need Whit etc spanners. Many basically
pre-war designs made after WW2 carried on using them.
--
*Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?