paint name and codes
h***@gmail.com
2015-09-03 12:17:01 UTC
Hi
can anybody tell me the name and code for the paint on my humber super snipe. It 1961 the tax book says it charcoal and fawn I can get the charcoal the roof is the one I cant fawn can anybody help Thank you
Indy Jess John
2015-09-03 18:07:14 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
Hi
can anybody tell me the name and code for the paint on my humber super snipe. It 1961 the tax book says it charcoal and fawn I can get the charcoal the roof is the one I cant fawn can anybody help Thank you
The tax book normally has a simplified description, so "Red" for
instance can be any shade of red. I doubt that the Rootes colour was
called fawn because they didn't call any of their colour codes "Fawn".

Rootes should have put colour codes on the chassis identification plate.
Provided your Humber is still in its original colours, the code numbers
shown will translate to paint descriptions, and there is a translation
table from colour code to name and other paint manufacturers part
numbers here:
http://teae.org/paint-color-codes/

If you can't find the colour codes or you have a car which has had a
colour change, then there are a few colour samples here:
http://vintagebritishcables.com/Hillman-Humber-Singer-Sunbeam-Paint-Chips.php

Note that this is an incomplete list. I couldn't find a complete one.

If all that is no help, some body repair businesses have an arrangement
with paint suppliers, so that a small chip of original paint can be
colour matched by computer and a tin of the appropriate colour can be
made up for an exact match. This can be useful if the original colour
has faded over time and any touching up shouldn't show.

Jim
h***@gmail.com
2015-09-03 21:37:56 UTC
Thank you Jim
I can not find the plate with the paint code on it . Do you know where the plate is on a super snipe, as the car was painted before and not with the original pain I only found this out when I remove the windscreen and saw the original paint not enough to take a chip of it like a antlope colour again thank you for your help
Regards P.J
Indy Jess John
2015-09-03 21:56:23 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
Thank you Jim
I can not find the plate with the paint code on it . Do you know where the plate is on a super snipe, as the car was painted before and not with the original pain I only found this out when I remove the windscreen and saw the original paint not enough to take a chip of it like a antlope colour again thank you for your help
Regards P.J
You are looking for a small metal badge - perhaps 3 inches by 2 inches
attached to the car in a position where the information on it (chassis
number etc) can be read reasonably easily but the plate is not easy to
remove. I don't know where the plate would be on a Super Snipe - my
experience of a Rootes car was of a Hillman Imp.

Have a check around the under-bonnet area, and around the bottom of the
front door openings. They are not the only possible places, but they
are the most likely.

Jim
Dave Plowman (News)
2015-09-04 10:08:44 UTC
Hi can anybody tell me the name and code for the paint on my humber
super snipe. It 1961 the tax book says it charcoal and fawn I can get
the charcoal the roof is the one I cant fawn can anybody help Thank you
Generally with old paint it's best to get some matched to it for touch up
purposes, as it will inevitably have faded.

If doing a total respray to the original, can the owner's club help?
--
*No I haven't stolen it , I'm just a shit driver*

Dave Plowman ***@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Davey
2015-09-04 11:20:18 UTC
On Fri, 04 Sep 2015 11:08:44 +0100
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Hi can anybody tell me the name and code for the paint on my humber
super snipe. It 1961 the tax book says it charcoal and fawn I can
get the charcoal the roof is the one I cant fawn can anybody help
Thank you
Generally with old paint it's best to get some matched to it for
touch up purposes, as it will inevitably have faded.
If doing a total respray to the original, can the owner's club help?
Indeed. The Owners' Club is always a place to ask for help, if anyone
has information, they usually have.
If you can't find one for Humber cars, try other Rootes Group brands. I
know there is a Singer Group.
Davey.
h***@gmail.com
2015-09-07 22:22:31 UTC
Hi thank you for your help but I can not find a plate anywhere with pain code on it