Advice on tyres please
Indy Jess John
2020-07-28 07:15:11 UTC
My Triumph 2.5PI Mk2 has just passed an MOT test but with an advisory
that the two rear tyres will need to be replaced soon.

I have kept the original wheels, despite the 80 profile tyres in
question are not easy to find these days. After hunting on the internet
I have found just two possibilities: the 185/80R13 MAXXIS tyre or the
185/80R13 Nankang CW-25 tyre.

Before I opt to buy one or the other, I thought I would ask if anyone
here has any experience either for or against either of these?

Jim
Steve H
2020-08-05 23:00:37 UTC
Post by Indy Jess John
My Triumph 2.5PI Mk2 has just passed an MOT test but with an advisory
that the two rear tyres will need to be replaced soon.
I have kept the original wheels, despite the 80 profile tyres in
question are not easy to find these days.  After hunting on the internet
I have found just two possibilities: the 185/80R13 MAXXIS tyre or the
185/80R13 Nankang CW-25 tyre.
Before I opt to buy one or the other, I thought I would ask if anyone
here has any experience either for or against either of these?
Jim
No experience of either specific tyre - but I am a fan of Nankang and
use them on my Boxster (track days destroy tyres, these are a good
balance between outright grip and affordable price) and use Nankang
all-seasons on our campervan.

Never had Maxxis car tyres.
Steve H
Indy Jess John
2020-08-06 06:37:22 UTC
Post by Steve H
Post by Indy Jess John
My Triumph 2.5PI Mk2 has just passed an MOT test but with an advisory
that the two rear tyres will need to be replaced soon.
I have kept the original wheels, despite the 80 profile tyres in
question are not easy to find these days. After hunting on the internet
I have found just two possibilities: the 185/80R13 MAXXIS tyre or the
185/80R13 Nankang CW-25 tyre.
Before I opt to buy one or the other, I thought I would ask if anyone
here has any experience either for or against either of these?
Jim
No experience of either specific tyre - but I am a fan of Nankang and
use them on my Boxster (track days destroy tyres, these are a good
balance between outright grip and affordable price) and use Nankang
all-seasons on our campervan.
Never had Maxxis car tyres.
Thanks.

I will not be going to track days and I am driving the car on normal
roads for less than 1000 miles a year these days, so durability isn't my
primary aim. I asked my local classic car restorer and he said that
Maxxis have a good reputation. So it looks like either brand is
suitable and I should go for the one with the earliest delivery date.

Jim