have you seen this bumper ?
Abandoned_Trolley
2023-05-24 11:38:05 UTC
As part of the rolling restoration of one of my Jaguars, I recently
picked up a job lot of bumpers which includes a couple which I don’t need.

It has been suggested to me that they are from a Jag 420, but there’s
not too many of them around to make any sensible comparison.

The front one looks like this:

and the rear looks like this

They both look like they need overriders - and there is nothing to say
that they both belong on the same vehicle.

They are probably of some use to somebody, so I was thinking of getting
rid of them on eBay - but I need to know what they are first.

Assuming that the dropbox links are working, is anybody able to shed any
light on the matter ?
random signature text inserted here
Indy Jess John
2023-05-24 13:44:23 UTC
Post by Abandoned_Trolley
As part of the rolling restoration of one of my Jaguars, I recently
picked up a job lot of bumpers which includes a couple which I don’t need.
It has been suggested to me that they are from a Jag 420, but there’s
not too many of them around to make any sensible comparison.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rhl7n46qeostvz1/Jag_Front.jpg?dl=0
and the rear looks like this
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z1vkk25i580vf3m/Jag_Rear.jpg?dl=0
They both look like they need overriders - and there is nothing to say
that they both belong on the same vehicle.
They are probably of some use to somebody, so I was thinking of getting
rid of them on eBay - but I need to know what they are first.
Assuming that the dropbox links are working, is anybody able to shed any
light on the matter ?
Your dropbox links did work. I am not a Jaguar person so I can't
suggest which model(s) they might fit, and there are not many good
pictures of the 420 on-line.

I did find a picture of a front
and it doesn't look as though the depressed area in the middle is in my
picture and the taper on the extreme ends doesn't look the same, but the
position of the overrider holes does look about right.

Pictures of the rear are even harder to find but I did find this picture
and it looks at though the overrider holes are in the right place for a
Jaguar but the angle on the bend doesn't look quite right.

My conclusion is that they are almost certainly Jaguar, but they might
not be the 420. Can the person you bought the job lot from tell you
what model they came from?

My suggestion is to put them on ebay as two separate listings because
you can't be sure that the front and back fit the same model. If you
list them as part of a job lot advertised as Jaguar parts, which you
bought because of the parts that you needed to restore your own classic
and you are selling on the parts that are no use to you but are in very
good condition. Admit that you don't know exactly which model the part
is for and ask bidders to be sure they want to buy it before making an
offer because you will not accept returns.

I would be inclined to put measurements on the photos too, so that
potential buyers can compare them with their own bumpers, which will
give them less excuse to argue they bought in good faith.

Good luck - and be free to ignore this suggestion if someone else
replies with a better one.

Jim
Abandoned_Trolley
2023-05-24 15:05:57 UTC
Post by Indy Jess John
My conclusion is that they are almost certainly Jaguar, but they might
not be the 420.  Can the person you bought the job lot from tell you
what model they came from?
Pretty much the first thing I thought of.

He said he inherited it all when he took over a rented lock up garage
and that it was all there, along with a load of other stuff when he
moved in.

He managed to correctly identify a pair of Mark 2 bumpers, because they
are both quite distinctive, so advertised it as a lot "including Mk 2
bumpers" - He insisted that he was not going to split the lot, so
effectively passed the problem on to me
Post by Indy Jess John
My suggestion is to put them on ebay as two separate listings because
you can't be sure that the front and back fit the same model.  If you
list them as part of a job lot advertised as Jaguar parts, which you
bought because of the parts that you needed to restore your own classic
and you are selling on the parts that are no use to you but are in very
good condition. Admit that you don't know exactly which model the part
is for and ask bidders to be sure they want to buy it before making an
offer because you will not accept returns.
I would be inclined to put measurements on the photos too, so that
potential buyers can compare them with their own bumpers, which will
give them less excuse to argue they bought in good faith.
Good luck - and be free to ignore this suggestion if someone else
replies with a better one.
Thats probably what I will end up doing, although I am going to try a
couple of the forums / owners clubs first.
random signature text inserted here
David Warner
2023-05-24 17:15:04 UTC
Yes, I've seen that bumper! It's definitely eye-catching and adds a unique touch to the vehicle. Love the design!
--
For full context, visit https://www.motorsforum.com/classic-uk/have-you-seen-this-bumper-3462856-.htm