Speeding.
Dave Plowman (News)
2022-01-24 15:31:19 UTC
Got 'flashed' the other day. Not seeking sympathy - I knew the camera was
there.

Got the summons, and seems they want to send me on a speed awareness
course.

Speed on the summons? 26 mph. I expect the course tells you how to follow
the man with the red flag.
--
*You can't teach an old mouse new clicks *

Dave Plowman ***@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Indy Jess John
2022-01-24 20:35:23 UTC
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Got 'flashed' the other day. Not seeking sympathy - I knew the camera was
there.
Got the summons, and seems they want to send me on a speed awareness
course.
Speed on the summons? 26 mph. I expect the course tells you how to follow
the man with the red flag.
A friend of mine suffered a similar fate. The speed awareness course is
an optional alternative to a fine and points on your licence. He opted
for the course as the better alternative, though he had to pay to attend it.

His comment to me afterwards was that if I get caught, attend the
course, sit and look vaguely interested, and don't speak unless you are
invited to. Someone on his course tried to argue with the instructor and
got thrown off the course and was told to expect to be summonsed back to
court for his speeding penalty, and his fee for attending the awareness
course would not be refunded.

Don't get caught again within 3 years, because if you do the course
won't be offered to you - that is a condition of accepting the first
speed awareness course.

Jim
Dave Plowman (News)
2022-01-26 15:52:33 UTC
Post by Indy Jess John
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
[...]
Just booked mine - cost £92. Online, via Zoom. And I've got to be visible
on camera for the entire 3 hours. Wondering if I could record myself for
three hours watching TV and insert that?

Thanks for the tip about arguing. I was wanting to ask how it could be
safe to travel at 30 mph on a road one day, but not the next. When nothing
else had changed - apart from reduced traffic due to Covid.

There's an even better one fairly close. A purpose built dual carriageway
- no housing etc - went from 40 to 20 overnight. Bet that brings in plenty
via fines.
--
*On the seventh day He brewed beer *

Indy Jess John
2022-01-26 21:12:39 UTC
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
There's an even better one fairly close. A purpose built dual carriageway
- no housing etc - went from 40 to 20 overnight. Bet that brings in plenty
via fines.
According to news reports on TV some time ago, the M32 has a section
permanently set to 40mph (no road works or other sensible reason, it was
just to slow the traffic). Its speed camera makes a small fortune for
the operators.

Jim