Ping Dave Plowman
Davey
2021-12-23 12:25:23 UTC
Dave,
You have often referred to your having a smart charger permanently
installed in your SD1. Is the output permanently connected to the
battery, as I have visions of a huge current draw, frying the charger,
when the starter motor is activated? Or is there a switch or plug that
disconnects the charger low voltage side?
Interested in fitting one in the same way as yours.
Davey.
Dave Plowman (News)
2021-12-23 13:49:48 UTC
Post by Davey
Dave,
You have often referred to your having a smart charger permanently
installed in your SD1. Is the output permanently connected to the
battery, as I have visions of a huge current draw, frying the charger,
when the starter motor is activated? Or is there a switch or plug that
disconnects the charger low voltage side?
Interested in fitting one in the same way as yours.
It's permanently connected. There is a second fuse box in the boot with an
always live feed. Connected to that via a suitable fuse.

This Lidl one has a button which has to be pressed to active it - LEDs
then show the state it is in. You have to press the button twice to get
full charge for 12v. When fully charged, it changes to a maintenance
setting.

Don't think I've ever tried starting the car with it in operation. Driving
off with it plugged in to the mains wouldn't be good. ;-) But it is short
circuit protected, so would be most surprised if it came to any harm.

It does draw a tiny current from the battery at all times. The resistance
between the leads is 42500 ohms. So tiny compared to other things that
take current from the battery at all times - I make it 0.2mA.

There is a snag with this type of charger. If you were using it left on
over the winter on a stored car, and there is a power cut, it doesn't
revert to on after power is restored. You'd have to push the button again.
--
*For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism *

Dave Plowman ***@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Indy Jess John
2021-12-23 14:07:20 UTC
Post by Davey
Dave,
You have often referred to your having a smart charger permanently
installed in your SD1. Is the output permanently connected to the
battery, as I have visions of a huge current draw, frying the charger,
when the starter motor is activated? Or is there a switch or plug that
disconnects the charger low voltage side?
Interested in fitting one in the same way as yours.
I will let Dave provide you with the details of how his one is fitted,
because he has the practical experience.

However, I bought a smart charger[1] to keep a spare battery in a
charged condition (because I have an inverter to produce mains voltage
from a car battery when I need it) and I have looked at the instruction
manual.

The "smart" bit watches the battery voltage and knows when to give a
maintenance charge which is 0.8A, compared to a normal charge which has
a maximum of 4A. This suggests that you are unlikely to fry the charger
when operating the starter motor, and because it is monitoring the
voltage, once the engine is running and putting charge into the battery,
the smart charger is likely to be dormant.

[1] Ring do two smart chargers, and the manual helpfully says there are
on-line references:
RESC704
www.ringautomotive.com/uk/products/Cars/Battery+Care/SmartChargers+European+Specification/RESC704

RESC706
www.ringautomotive.com/uk/products/Cars/Battery+Care/SmartChargers+European+Specification/RESC706

The first one works, I didn't bother to test the second. The manual
advises how to correctly wire in the smart charger if the battery is in
the car.

Jim
Davey
2021-12-23 14:39:54 UTC
On Thu, 23 Dec 2021 14:07:20 +0000
Post by Indy Jess John
Post by Davey
[...]
Thanks, both of you. I have an Aldi charger, probably the same one as
the Lidl, and it is great, but it mentions nothing about this scenario.
I would hate to assume it was going to be ok and then fry it when I
tried it. Those Ring ones look interesting, I will do some research on
them.
Thanks again.
Davey.
Dave Plowman (News)
2021-12-23 15:17:49 UTC
Post by Davey
Thanks, both of you. I have an Aldi charger, probably the same one as
the Lidl, and it is great, but it mentions nothing about this scenario.
I would hate to assume it was going to be ok and then fry it when I
tried it. Those Ring ones look interesting, I will do some research on
them.
Thanks again.
I'd not be surprised if all those similar chargers - Aldi Lidl Ctek etc
have basically the same internals.

Pretty well every charger ever made is protected from overload - even if
only a fuse in olden days.
--
*I wish the buck stopped here. I could use a few.

Davey
2021-12-26 11:39:24 UTC
On Sun, 26 Dec 2021 11:13:32 +0000
Post by Davey
Dave,
You have often referred to your having a smart charger permanently
installed in your SD1. Is the output permanently connected to the
battery, as I have visions of a huge current draw, frying the
charger, when the starter motor is activated? Or is there a switch
or plug that disconnects the charger low voltage side?
I've definitely started a petrol ride-on lawn mower several times
with a Lidl/Aldi smart charger still connected. It is likely that I
have started a car like that too.
Thanks. I might try it, then, it does seem to be favoured as viable.
Davey.
Davey