Wheel tightening torque (Triumph GT6)
FrankG
2004-08-31 19:55:02 UTC
Hi

I am putting some Triumph Dolomite Sprint alloys onto my MkIII GT6.

Does anybody know the wheelnut tightening torques for the Dolomite nuts

Thanks for any help

FrankG

1973 Triumph GT6
1951 MM Minor
mrcheerful .
2004-08-31 23:01:15 UTC
Post by FrankG
Hi
I am putting some Triumph Dolomite Sprint alloys onto my MkIII GT6.
Does anybody know the wheelnut tightening torques for the Dolomite nuts
Thanks for any help
a few seconds with google shows:
" The nut tightening torque with the 11.1 mm (7/16 in) diameter wheel stud
is 108 NM (80 Ibf.ft)."

mrcheerful
Zontag
Aren't GT6 studs 3/8" unf -- 45 lb.ft would be nearer the mark
R.N. Robinson
2004-09-01 15:47:33 UTC
Post by Zontag
Post by mrcheerful .
Post by FrankG
Hi
I am putting some Triumph Dolomite Sprint alloys onto my MkIII GT6.
Does anybody know the wheelnut tightening torques for the Dolomite nuts
Thanks for any help
" The nut tightening torque with the 11.1 mm (7/16 in) diameter wheel
stud is 108 NM (80 Ibf.ft)."
mrcheerful
Aren't GT6 studs 3/8" unf -- 45 lb.ft would be nearer the mark
Been looking through my collection of old 'Motor Trader' data sheets.
Unfortunately by the time the GT6 came out the magazine had dropped wheel
nut torques off its list. However previous Triumphs specified 38-42 lb.ft.
for 3/8" UNF studs and 55-60 lb.ft. for 7/16" UNF ones. 80 lb.ft. would
require wheel studs made from 75 ton steel (quite apart from what it might
do to the wheel) which IMHO is a trifle unlikely and just shows that you
can't believe everything you read on the internet.

HTH

Ron Robinson
Dave Baker
2004-09-01 16:32:15 UTC
Post by mrcheerful .
Post by FrankG
Hi
I am putting some Triumph Dolomite Sprint alloys onto my MkIII GT6.
Does anybody know the wheelnut tightening torques for the Dolomite nuts
Thanks for any help
" The nut tightening torque with the 11.1 mm (7/16 in) diameter wheel stud
is 108 NM (80 Ibf.ft)."
I very much doubt it. The torque for modern 12mm wheel studs is normally in the
66 to 75 ft lb region. That would put an 11.1mm stud at about 60 ft lbs based
on the same grade material and similar thread pitch.
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (www.pumaracing.co.uk)
Andy Dingley
2004-09-01 13:59:52 UTC
On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 23:01:15 GMT, "mrcheerful
Post by mrcheerful .
" The nut tightening torque with the 11.1 mm (7/16 in) diameter wheel stud
is 108 NM (80 Ibf.ft)."
I don't recall the right value, but that sounds _way_ over the top for
a Triumph.
Smert' spamionam
Dave Plowman (News)
2004-09-01 16:59:07 UTC
Post by mrcheerful .
" The nut tightening torque with the 11.1 mm (7/16 in) diameter wheel
stud is 108 NM (80 Ibf.ft)."
I don't recall the right value, but that sounds _way_ over the top for a
Triumph.
It's 66 lb.ft on an SD1 which has IIRC 7/16th in studs.
--
*If only you'd use your powers for good instead of evil.

Dave Plowman ***@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
mrcheerful .
2004-09-01 21:54:46 UTC
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Post by mrcheerful .
" The nut tightening torque with the 11.1 mm (7/16 in) diameter wheel
stud is 108 NM (80 Ibf.ft)."
I don't recall the right value, but that sounds _way_ over the top for a
Triumph.
It's 66 lb.ft on an SD1 which has IIRC 7/16th in studs.
--
*If only you'd use your powers for good instead of evil.
this was cut from :
http://www.bac.com.au/misc/dol.html
74. R0AD WHEEL STUD AND NUT : DOLOMITE SPRINT
An 11.1 mm (7/16 in) diameter road wheel stud, Part Number UKC 5475 -
and nut, Part Number UKC 5476 - have been introduced on the Dolomite Sprint
model. These replace the 9.5 mm (3/8 in) diameter road wheel stud, Part
Number 158729 - and nut, Part Number UKC 0849 - which were used previously.
The 11.1 mm (7/16 in) diameter stud and nut were incorporated at Commission
Number VA 17924. The nut tightening torque with the 11.1 mm (7/16 in)
diameter wheel stud is 108 NM (80 Ibf.ft).

they seem fairly genuine in their info

mrcheerful
Stuffed
2004-09-01 21:59:04 UTC
Post by mrcheerful .
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Post by mrcheerful .
" The nut tightening torque with the 11.1 mm (7/16 in) diameter wheel
stud is 108 NM (80 Ibf.ft)."
I don't recall the right value, but that sounds _way_ over the top for a
Triumph.
It's 66 lb.ft on an SD1 which has IIRC 7/16th in studs.
--
*If only you'd use your powers for good instead of evil.
http://www.bac.com.au/misc/dol.html
[..]
Post by mrcheerful .
they seem fairly genuine in their info
Seems more than a touch on the high side, IMO. Best place to ask is probably
on one of the Triumph club's web forums. The TDC would be good, but it isn't
a Dolly, so maybe Club Triumph would be more appropriate in this case. Plus
as someone else mentioned, there might be offset differences to take into
account.
Rob
2004-09-02 04:44:08 UTC
Post by mrcheerful .
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Post by mrcheerful .
[...]
My Sprint manual says Road Wheel to Hub 3/8 UNF stud 48 ft/lbs these
are alloy nuts as well BTW.

Sprint wheels are mounted,supported and aligned using the centre spigot
and not the nuts. Nuts only hold the wheel against the hub in this instance.

The above maybe correct also for the 7/16 UNF - but my thinking an
extra 32 ft/lbs is an awful lot if you have alloy nuts.

rm
Willy Eckerslyke
2004-09-01 08:25:56 UTC
Post by FrankG
I am putting some Triumph Dolomite Sprint alloys onto my MkIII GT6.
ISTR that there's a possible problem with doing that as the wheels need
to be supported by the central boss rather than just the wheel nuts. No
doubt someone will be along who can shed more light on the subject...
Zontag
2004-09-01 12:47:50 UTC
Post by Willy Eckerslyke
Post by FrankG
I am putting some Triumph Dolomite Sprint alloys onto my MkIII GT6.
ISTR that there's a possible problem with doing that as the wheels need
to be supported by the central boss rather than just the wheel nuts. No
doubt someone will be along who can shed more light on the subject...
The boss is for centralisation rather than support and not all cars use
the feature, The theory dictates the joint between the wheel and the hub
is a friction the studs shouldn't have any significant shearing or
bending loads. The key is to tighten the nuts evenly in stages using a
diagonal pattern using a proper "spyder" wheel brace.
It is however essential to the wheel nuts which seat properly in the wheel.
:::Jerry::::
2004-09-01 13:31:24 UTC
"Zontag" <***@zen.co.uk> wrote in message news:4135c4f9$0$22762$***@news.zen.co.uk...
<snip>
Post by Zontag
bending loads. The key is to tighten the nuts evenly in stages using a
diagonal pattern using a proper "spyder" wheel brace.
Why the / need / to use a proper "spyder" wheel brace and not the one
supplied with the car when new (or similar) ?

The things people come out with....
Grimly Curmudgeon
2004-09-01 17:04:50 UTC
It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
Post by :::Jerry::::
The things people come out with....
I agree.

I must say though; if one is going to spout bollocks, usenet is the
place to do it.
--
Dave
SE6a
Geoff Mackenzie
2004-09-01 17:43:21 UTC
Post by :::Jerry::::
<snip>
Post by Zontag
bending loads. The key is to tighten the nuts evenly in stages using a
diagonal pattern using a proper "spyder" wheel brace.
Why the / need / to use a proper "spyder" wheel brace and not the one
supplied with the car when new (or similar) ?
The things people come out with....
FWIW, in my experience the toolkit wheel braces seem to be made out of
chocolate.

Geoff MacK
Zontag
2004-09-01 21:12:21 UTC
Post by Geoff Mackenzie
Post by :::Jerry::::
<snip>
Post by Zontag
bending loads. The key is to tighten the nuts evenly in stages using a
diagonal pattern using a proper "spyder" wheel brace.
Why the / need / to use a proper "spyder" wheel brace and not the one
supplied with the car when new (or similar) ?
The things people come out with....
FWIW, in my experience the toolkit wheel braces seem to be made out of
chocolate.
Geoff MacK
Also the advantage of a spyder brace is it puts a much lower sheering
force on the stud when tighening/slackening.
Dave Plowman (News)
2004-09-01 17:48:04 UTC
Post by :::Jerry::::
Post by Zontag
bending loads. The key is to tighten the nuts evenly in stages using a
diagonal pattern using a proper "spyder" wheel brace.
Why the / need / to use a proper "spyder" wheel brace and not the one
supplied with the car when new (or similar) ?
Well, it will prevent putting a sideways load on the stud. Although doing
this is only likely to break the wrench...
Post by :::Jerry::::
The things people come out with....
Makes the world go round, though.
--
*Why is the word abbreviation so long? *

Rob
2004-09-02 05:35:30 UTC
Post by Willy Eckerslyke
Post by FrankG
I am putting some Triumph Dolomite Sprint alloys onto my MkIII GT6.
ISTR that there's a possible problem with doing that as the wheels need
to be supported by the central boss rather than just the wheel nuts. No
doubt someone will be along who can shed more light on the subject...
As per service notes that's correct. Both are machined to fit. Also
alloy nuts which have straight sides (no degree bevel to align)

rm
Rob
2004-09-02 05:40:36 UTC
Post by Rob
Post by Willy Eckerslyke
Post by FrankG
I am putting some Triumph Dolomite Sprint alloys onto my MkIII GT6.
ISTR that there's a possible problem with doing that as the wheels
need to be supported by the central boss rather than just the wheel
nuts. No doubt someone will be along who can shed more light on the
subject...
As per service notes that's correct. Both are machined to fit. Also
alloy nuts which have straight sides (no degree bevel to align)
rm
And BTW you should not fit Sprint wheels to the standard Dolomite this
is what the service notes actually refer to so one would have to assume
the GT6 would come under this category as well.

rm
Willy Eckerslyke
2004-09-02 08:03:50 UTC
Post by Rob
And BTW you should not fit Sprint wheels to the standard Dolomite this
is what the service notes actually refer to so one would have to assume
the GT6 would come under this category as well.
This probably explains why there always seem to be lots of Sprint alloys
around for sale very cheaply! Sorry mrcheerful!
Stuffed
2004-09-06 14:47:47 UTC
Post by Rob
And BTW you should not fit Sprint wheels to the standard Dolomite this
is what the service notes actually refer to so one would have to assume
the GT6 would come under this category as well.
Why on earth shouldn't you fit Sprint alloys to a standard car? I thought
the front hubs at least are identical?

Grimly Curmudgeon
2004-09-01 17:04:49 UTC
Post by FrankG
I am putting some Triumph Dolomite Sprint alloys onto my MkIII GT6.
Does anybody know the wheelnut tightening torques for the Dolomite nuts
Two grunts, no fart.
Post by FrankG
Thanks for any help
Don't mention it.
--
Dave
SE6a
2004-09-01 20:30:58 UTC
I thought there was an offset issue with Sprint wheels on a Spit/Herald -
something about the callipers fouling? Sorry to be alarmist and vague but
I'd prefer to be safe when it comes to wheels, kinda fundamental to motoring
:-)
1951 MM Minor
Rob
2004-09-02 04:32:09 UTC
Post by J
I thought there was an offset issue with Sprint wheels on a Spit/Herald -
something about the callipers fouling? Sorry to be alarmist and vague but
I'd prefer to be safe when it comes to wheels, kinda fundamental to motoring
:-)
There is a problem in that the alloy wheel has to be supported by the
centre spigot- its not supported by the alloy nuts there only to hold
the wheel against the hub.

The caliper issue maybe another don't know.

rm
FrankG
2004-09-02 06:21:25 UTC
Thanks for all the advice.

There is a couple of guys running sprint alloys on the GT6 in the TSSC club.

AFAIK there have been no problems

FrankG
1951 MM Minor
mrcheerful .
2004-09-02 06:57:20 UTC
Post by FrankG
Hi
I am putting some Triumph Dolomite Sprint alloys onto my MkIII GT6.
Does anybody know the wheelnut tightening torques for the Dolomite nuts
Thanks for any help
FrankG
Any idea how much a set of four alloys in reasonable nick is worth? (I have
a spare set to dispose of)

mrcheerful
FrankG
2004-09-02 12:18:30 UTC
Quiller Triumph charge £25 each for sprint alloys, although I did not buy
mine from there.

There are some on Ebay you may want to watch

FrankG
1951 MM Minor
mrcheerful .
2004-09-02 12:44:49 UTC
Post by FrankG
Hi
I am putting some Triumph Dolomite Sprint alloys onto my MkIII GT6.
Does anybody know the wheelnut tightening torques for the Dolomite nuts
Thanks for any help
FrankG
Thanks, I have had a look, it appears my wheels are not dolly ones, but Stag
wheels at a guess (they came from a 2500 estate) Looks like I might try a
cheap listing or put them into scrap aluminium.

mrcheerful
2004-09-03 21:36:43 UTC
Triumph 2500S cars has Stag alloys on them as standard I believe - they
aren't worth much unless in excellent order but eBay is a good place to
dispose of them. Also, Retro Cars mag has free sale listings.
As for the price of Sprint alloys, it's often said that there are two things
for the Dolly that will never be rare, rear lights and Sprint alloys :-) Oh
and there's a nice Dolly discussion board on the Dolomite Reg club pages
that's worth a post or two occasionally