Smiths heater overhaul
Si
2003-10-06 21:16:21 UTC
Hi all

I've just started a project, a Singer Gazelle actually (1966). I have a
massive list of things to do, one is the smiths heater. Does anyone know of
a kit or anywhere I can buy parts new?
The parts I definetly need are...

Foam pads
New valve
Cables

...The rest I can salvage (I think)

Model: F.390
Code: FHF 3551/37

Anyone
TIA
Simon Tyler
Dave Plowman
2003-10-07 00:42:10 UTC
Post by Si
I've just started a project, a Singer Gazelle actually (1966). I have a
massive list of things to do, one is the smiths heater. Does anyone
know of a kit or anywhere I can buy parts new? The parts I definetly
need are...
Foam pads
New valve
Cables
The cables you should be able to make - try a decent bike shop. Even
Halfords stock it.
--
*If at first you don't succeed, try management *

Dave Plowman ***@argonet.co.uk London SW 12
RIP Acorn
awm
2003-10-07 11:13:23 UTC
Post by Dave Plowman
The cables you should be able to make - try a decent bike shop. Even
Halfords stock it.
The Minx heater use piano wire inner cables as the cables pushed as well
as pulled.
Willy Eckerslyke
Decent lawnmower shop then!
Dave Plowman
2003-10-07 12:54:34 UTC
Post by awm
Post by Dave Plowman
The cables you should be able to make - try a decent bike shop. Even
Halfords stock it.
The Minx heater use piano wire inner cables as the cables pushed as well
as pulled.
Think the outers were still a standard size, and piano wire is easy enough
to get. Still probably easier - and more satisfying - than searching for
originals.
--
*Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.

Dave Plowman ***@argonet.co.uk London SW 12
RIP Acorn
awm
2003-10-07 10:31:33 UTC
Post by Si
Hi all
I've just started a project, a Singer Gazelle actually (1966). I have a
massive list of things to do, one is the smiths heater. Does anyone know of
a kit or anywhere I can buy parts new?
The parts I definetly need are...
Foam pads
New valve
Cables
As the Arrow range range Minx & Gazelle were launched in 67 (somewhat
later than the Hunter and arrow range Vogue) it must be a late "series
Minx" model and if the engine is original it should be a 1724 cc cast
iron head unit.
Whats wrong with the heater -- leak from the matrix or leak from the
heater valve ? If its the matrix your local raddiator repair shop
should be able to help, the heater water valve is more tricky although I
think one from a Triumph or Mini or MG could be adpated with a bit of
inginuity.
The Smiths heater types on these cars were used with minor differences
in other models such as the Morris Oxford -- to explain prior to 1965
the heater was an "accessory" not included in the price of the car but
fitted by the dealer to avoid purchase tax.

Any engine reconditioning shop should still be able to get exhaust
valves for this engine -- if you fit valves you will need to go for a
full unleaded conversion or use LRP as the iron head 1724 Minx engine
tends to be hard on exhaust valves anyway.

By cables I take it you mean the hand brake cable and speedo cable --
generally for Rootes parts try Speedy Spares who bought over RJ Grimes
stock if not Speedy cables (no connection) will be able to make them
up. Speedy cables could also help with other control cables.

If you need a bonnet release cable (not sure if you model had one as
standard the equivalent Minx didn't) try one from an early/mid 90s
Rover 214 its very similar (alsoWillmot Breeden made I suspect).

Speedy Spares and Speedy cables both advertise in most of the classic mags.
ASHLEY
2022-10-30 19:45:03 UTC
I MAKE THE SMITHS HEATER BLOWER CASE I HAVE THE PART ON EBA
https://www.motorsforum.com/img/3hu
For full context, visit https://www.motorsforum.com/classic-uk/smiths-heater-overhaul-1964-.htm
Si
2003-10-07 18:10:09 UTC
Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. When I say I've just started a project,
I mean I have listed all the parts that need to be cleaned, refurbished or
bought new/recon. I made a large spreadsheet with everything on it, so far
I am praying to God that it's not under budget!!!!! Not too much of a
problem though, I'll be keeping the car forever.
I seem to be ok with most parts up to now, that is I can get them at a cost,
however, the heater seems to be a stumbling block.

I now have more information though.
Cables: I have found a supplier who can make any cable I want, he owes me a
favour as well so I'm ok with them.
Foam pads: Guess I'll just make some up from fire proof foam somewhere.
As for the valve, I meant the valve bolted on the side of the heater box. I
have found someone selling an MG valve for this heater and he assures me
it's the same. Not too sure yet :-/
The radiator may be a problem, though I have yet to test it. (that is the
radiator inside the heater), I found a company that can overhaul it for £35,
sounds OK but you don't want to know how much I'll be spending on this
car!!! To test it I'm thinking of sinking it under water and pumping it up
a bit, 5-10psi I'm guessing at (if anyone can advise differently then please
do).

Now you may be asking 'if this is a new project, why has he started on the
heater??'. My answers to that are....you gotta start somewhere, I am trying
to gather information about all the other parts. The engine is going out to
be rebuilt, I'm in the process of finding someone who will take my car for a
couple of months and work on the body and.......it's the only thing I could
fit on the kitchen table without the missus getting too flustered????? OH,
and it's bloody cold outside at the moment:-)

I will be frequenting this group for assistance, by the time I finish this
car (March-April 04), I should be some kind of expert. So bear with me!

Thanks to all for advice (so far)

Simon Tyler
Simon Tyler
Samuel Clemens
2003-10-07 18:41:38 UTC
I wish you luck with your project, always liked the look of the pre arrows
singers. Pity there are so few left ... and that the pricing on whole Rootes
Group of cars makes most restorations uneconomical.

This is something I have never really understood. The marque stood for (and
embodied in most cases) quality (although, as things do, went downhill a bit
towards the end) but is seriously underepresented at most shows I have
attended. As an ex Humber Super Snipe owner (they were good enough for
Harold Wilson to arrive at No 10 in - OK an Imperial !), it always amazed
how cheap these luxury barges were compared to the equivalent - maybe a
quarter the price for a good one.

How much is a good Singer Gazelle ? and how much is a good Mk I/II Cortina.
Which stands out in the crowd ?
Si
2003-10-07 18:44:01 UTC
I've begun to understand that if I'm going to keep this car for a long time
then the cost can be written off.
I bought a newish car 2years ago and have lost as much money as this singer
will cost me, so why worry.
I'm hoping my 7year old daughter will learn to drive in this, it's going to
be a family member so cost is almost irrelevant at the moment!!!!

I renovated a mark V when I was single (had more time then), I met my wife,
we got married in it, both our children where born and went in it, however,
someone stole it 6yrs ago and ever since we've wanted to start on another
one.

So here I am!

Anyway, must get on, I have a heater box to spray:-))
Chris Bolus
2003-10-12 00:11:50 UTC
On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 19:41:38 +0100, "Samuel Clemens"
Post by Samuel Clemens
How much is a good Singer Gazelle ? and how much is a good Mk I/II Cortina.
Which stands out in the crowd ?
If I read you right... The sixties Rootes cars were very much
underrated. I've heard them described as dull & mundane - is that
another way of saying well built and reliable? That they behave & don't
fall to bits?
My Minx is awaiting some floor/inner sill repairs. The inner wings have
been repaired and the wings have been replaced or patched. But this car
is 38 years old, and that's all it's needed! The rest of the structure
is superb, the doors shut lightly. quietly and precisely, something even
my 80s Merc can't match, and even though it may stand for a couple of
months at a time, it starts first time - more reliably than any of my
other cars.
--
Regards, Chris (Please take out my car to reply by email)
----1961 Austin A40 Farina----1966 Triumph Herald Estate---
********** Please don't email in HTML! **********
Si
2003-10-12 07:47:57 UTC
It's nice to hear this, when complete in April 04, I will be using her every
day to drive to work and back (45mile round trip), so 'well built and
reliable' is what I need. I've owned a few classic cars and the singer was
the only one which a)kept up with modern traffic and b)still looks like an
old british classic.
********** Please don't email in HTML! **********
Dave Plowman
2003-10-12 10:00:17 UTC
I've owned a few classic cars and the singer was the only one which
a)kept up with modern traffic and b)still looks like an old british
classic.
They were hardly balls of fire in their day compared to similar sized cars
due to their weight.
--
*Why does the sun lighten our hair, but darken our skin?

Dave Plowman ***@argonet.co.uk London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Howard Rose
2003-10-08 14:45:01 UTC
Post by Si
Hi all
I've just started a project, a Singer Gazelle actually (1966). I have a
massive list of things to do, one is the smiths heater. Does anyone know of
a kit or anywhere I can buy parts new?
The parts I definetly need are...
Foam pads
New valve
Cables
I did this on my Dad's MGA a couple of years back. We got the heater
case media blasted and it came back fantastic. I had to make a new
rubber "shut" type thing for the hot air, I used an flat peice of
rubber for this cut to size.

I don't know about cables, but they might be the same as MG, although
you may have to cut them to length. What series engine does the
Gazelle use? Find out, and look for any other cars that use the same
block - the valve will probabally be the same.
Si
Chris Bolus
2003-10-12 00:11:51 UTC
On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 15:45:01 +0100, Howard Rose
Post by Howard Rose
What series engine does the
Gazelle use? Find out, and look for any other cars that use the same
block - the valve will probabally be the same.
The heater valve is not attached to the block. It's attached to the
heater. The heater is te same as tat in the Herald, but I'm not sure the
valve is. I'll have a look later.