Waterless Engine Coolant
Davey
2023-02-11 11:43:08 UTC
Has anybody tried this? Is it as good as it is made out to be?
TIA.
Davey.
Indy Jess John
2023-02-12 15:25:29 UTC
Post by Davey
Has anybody tried this? Is it as good as it is made out to be?
TIA.
I have not tried it myself - I have stuck with Bluecol in a severe
winter concentration and have never had a coolant problem.

I found a few reviews and the main benefit of waterless is that it is
just antifreeze with anti-corrosion additives so that it boils at 190C
so if you have a car that regularly overheats you won't lose coolant as
steam, and you don't have to be extra-careful removing the radiator cap
when the engine is hot.

The warnings are:

If there is more than 3% residual water in the system there is no point
is using waterless coolant because it won't work as intended. So you
have to go through a cleansing purge of the cooling system before you
change to waterless.

Waterless lasts a lot longer than conventional antifreeze, but it costs
a lot more. It also creeps through tiny leaks and through paper
gaskets, so if you are suffering from any of these already you are going
to lose waterless coolant faster.

I found an American article:
https://motocrossactionmag.com/ten-things-you-need-to-know-about-waterless-coolant/

Then it is make your mind up time!

Jim
Davey
2023-02-12 16:15:53 UTC
On Sun, 12 Feb 2023 15:25:29 +0000
Post by Indy Jess John
Post by Davey
[...]
That is interesting. I need to replace my leaky block drain plug, which
will mead a full drain-down anyway, and I was wondering whether to use
the waterless stuff. Hmm.
Thnanks.
--
Davey.