Where to check gearbox oil level on a '78 Spitfire ?
p***@mail.com
2009-05-11 20:03:37 UTC
I get the impression from reading the Triumph Spitfire 1500 Handbook
that the only way to check the gearbox (transmission) oil is to go
under the car. Is there a gauge elsewhere?

Thanks

Paul
Conor
2009-05-11 20:38:34 UTC
In article <54f3f09d-3350-4587-8f97-b5b2b2b3bb57
@v4g2000vba.googlegroups.com>, ***@mail.com says...
Post by p***@mail.com
I get the impression from reading the Triumph Spitfire 1500 Handbook
that the only way to check the gearbox (transmission) oil is to go
under the car. Is there a gauge elsewhere?
No. Filler plug will be halfway up the gearbox. Take it out and fill up
until it just starts to come out.
--
Conor

looking good either. - Scott Adams
Tom Sharrocks
2009-05-11 23:49:45 UTC
Paul,

On my 78 Spit 1500, I took off the footrest from the internal gearbox shroud
and cut out an inspection hole in line with the gearbox filler. The hole is
blanked off with a cover plate adapted to take the footrest screws. Works
fine, saves crawling under the car - when inspection plate removed, allows a
socket to undo the gearbox filler from inside the car and which I use the
access to check / top up with a squirt oil can. Email me for picture if you
wish.

Tom
Paul
The Real Doctor
2009-05-15 09:20:34 UTC
On my 78 Spit 1500, I took off the footrest from the internal gearbox shroud...
Aka the "farting bracket"

Ian
middyharleydude@talktalk.net
2023-10-15 21:15:04 UTC
Hiya. Could you please send me a picture of where / how to top up the gearbox oil on the spitfire, as you described . Thanks Middy
--
For full context, visit https://www.motorsforum.com/classic-uk/where-to-check-gearbox-oil-level-on-a-78-spitfire-22471-.htm